How Insurance Brokers Can Get Licensed in Multiple States

How to get licensed in multiple states

If you’re new to insurance sales, are considering entry into the business, or just want to expand your business opportunities, you might consider being licensed in multiple states.

If you are already licensed in your home state, it’s fairly simple to earn a non-resident license in another state. If you don’t have a license already, you will want to earn your resident license first, then apply for a non-resident license in other states where you plan to write business. There is no single license that allows you to sell in multiple states. You need to comply with each state’s varying rules and regulations concerning insurance licensing.

To begin selling Group Health insurance in California or Nevada, you will need to pass a test to get your Accident & Health Agent insurance license.

Choice of License

You can be licensed as an individual, as a business entity, or under a fictitious business name. More information on California’s bucatasiness entity application process is on the Department of Insurance (CDI) website. Nevada licenses producers as business entities or individuals. Information on the Silver State’s licensing process is on the Nevada Division of Insurance (DOI) web page.

Non-Resident License in Another State

A Letter of Certification is often required from your home state if you want a non-resident license elsewhere. Visit the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) website for information.

If you are a California broker, you can make your request online through the Producer Licensing Online Services page. For Nonresident Individual Requirements in Nevada, visit the DOI web page and scroll down toward the bottom of the page for information.

How to Get Started

If you already have an insurance license, great. You will want to keep it active during the application process for your new license – whether you’re applying as a resident or non-resident.

If you are not already licensed, you’ll want some training. Both California and Nevada require the completion of at least 20 hours of approved pre-licensing study, in addition to 12 hours of Ethics training. Additional training hours may be required for certain license types.

In California, the CDI website lists more than 30 education providers to help you prepare for your exam. Look up Nevada education providers on the DOI site.

A background check and fingerprinting are required in connection with an insurance license application. Read California’s resident licensing fingerprint requirements and Nevada’s digital fingerprint and background check guidelines.

Exam Information

California uses PSI Services, LLC, for scheduling insurance licensing exams. Information on the exam schedule is available on PSI’s web page. Scheduling is also available by telephone. PSI offers multiple exam times and locations.

Nevada licensing information for business entities and individual producer licensing information are summarized on the DOI website. To schedule a Nevada license exam after creating a Nevada DOI account, visit

Independent or In Partnership

After you earn your license, your next decision is whether you want to work as an independent agent (also called a broker), as an employee of an agency or company (perhaps as an insurance sales rep at a bank or credit union), or in partnership with a general agent (GA).

When you work with a GA like Word & Brown, you can get help with many back-office activities, so you can focus on prospecting and selling. Word & Brown offers industry-leading quoting technology, online enrollment tools, and an outstanding product and service portfolio – all backed by our legendary “Service of Unequalled Excellence.” In California, we also offer Continuing Education courses to help you maintain your insurance license.


In California, if you need licensing assistance, call the CDI at 800-927-4357 (HELP).

If you need help with Nevada licensing, call the Nevada DOI at 775-687-0700 in Carson City or 702-486-4009 in Las Vegas.

For more information on licensing, check out our blog post, A 6-step Guide to Getting Your Health Insurance License.

If you’re not already working with Word & Brown and you’d like to discuss how we can help you write more and earn more, call 800-869-6989. Or fill out our online form to get started.



How Much Can You Earn as an Insurance Broker?

Find out what you can be earning as an insurance agent in our handy, up-to-date salary guide. Produced by our in-house experts, this resource is bound to help you in advancing your career.

Word & Brown Salary Guide