You know, as a licensed California health insurance broker, you’re required to complete a total of 24 hours of Continuing Education (CE) for every two-year license term. This requirement includes three hours of Ethics training. However, the question remains, “How can I earn CE Credits the most efficient way possible?”
At Word & Brown, we have you covered. Our annual “Week of Webinars” (nicknamed “WOW”) offers you a whole week of CE learning opportunities. This year, in five days, you could earn more than half of the CE Credits you need – all from the convenience of your home or office.
Where Do You Stand?
If you are not sure what credits you need or have already earned, the California Department of Insurance makes it easy to look it up. Visit the License Status Inquiry page, for online license status information.
Partial credit for course participation is not permitted; you must be in attendance for the full class. If your class is offered online, you must take part in the polling questions during the course to confirm your active participation.
2020 “WOW” Courses and CE Credits
One of the reasons the Week of Webinars draws so much interest each year among brokers is the simplicity of the offering: 13 CE Credits in one week (Monday, June 15, through Friday, June 19, 2020), no travel required, and the ability to participate from anywhere with an Internet connection.
The course line-up this year includes these sessions:
- ACA Turbocharged (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #383877)
- Employee Leave Laws and Benefits: Federal and California (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #384058)
- Foundational Ethics and Principles for Health Insurance Agents (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #366636)
- Ethics: Worthy of Your Clients’ Trust (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #366671)
- True North: NAHU Code of Ethics as a Moral Compass for Agents (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #368971)
- COBRA Compliance (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #331251)
- Insure Like a Leader, Not a Boss (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #384160)
- Pandemic Response: Helping Brokers Address Client Concerns (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #384176)
- Reboot the Cyber Attackers: Cybersecurity in the Roaring 20’s (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #384159)
- Group Health Insurance: Compliance and Calculations (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #383878)
- Employee Benefits Communication (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #383879)
- Determining Employee Eligibility (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #383876)
- Embracing Large Group (1 Hour CE Credit; Course #384158)
Come for the Content, Stay for the Cash
In addition to great content across our 13 available courses, we’re also offering participants 39 chances to win a $100 gift card (three winners at the end of each webinar) plus an opportunity to win $1,300 if you attend all of the webinars during the week. You also have a chance to win a $100 gift card if you respond to our post-WOW survey at the end of the week.
In 2019, more than $5,000 and 8,000+ CE Credits were awarded to WOW participants. Click here to register now for 2020.
Plan Your License Renewal
The California Department of Insurance (DOI) recommends you complete your required education hours at least 60 days prior to the expiration of your license. Doing so will ensure your education provider (i.e., your General Agent, trade association, or other organization) has sufficient time to submit the necessary information to the DOI, and the department has adequate time to update your education records. The DOI gives providers 30 days from course completion to submit attendee information.
If you earn CE Credits too close to the end of your license term, your license renewal could be delayed while your credits are processed. That could result in a license lapse.
Continuing Education Tips for Brokers
Beyond Word & Brown’s annual “Week of Webinars,” there are other ways to earn CE Credits:
- Look for CE courses online in addition to live CE opportunities.
- Check out courses offered through a local, regional, or state health underwriter association.
- Be sure you choose courses relevant to your insurance license. (Only those apply to your renewal.)
- Remember, you cannot repeat a course within two years; you can earn CE Credit only once for each course during your two-year license renewal period.
Health Insurance Broker
2020 Salary Guide
For a sneak peek at what you can expect to earn as an insurance agent, get a copy of our “Insurance Broker Salary Guide.”